My large format quest starts this weekend

Due to some problems I had with the delivery of my Sinar 4×5 view camera lensboards, I haven’t been able to use the camera. They will arrive today, so I will probably take my first photos tonight. It will be a couple of testing images with Ilford HP5 film. Developing will be done with the MOD54 which will allow me to use my Paterson 3 Tank. My two lenses are the Nikkor 90mm f/8 SW and the Schneider Symmar-S 210mm f/5.6 so I am equipped with a landscape and a portrait lens which is enough for my needs.
I am expecting to post the first image probably on Sunday.

(c)2012 Konstantinos Besios. All Rights Reserved.

This entry was posted in News and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

8 Responses to My large format quest starts this weekend

1. Καλημέρα,

Βρήκαμε τυχαία 2 υπέροχες φωτογραφίες σας για τα Μετέωρα στην παρακάτω διεύθυνση:
    και θα θέλαμε να σας ρωτήσουμε αν υπάρχει η δυνατότητα με την άδειά σας να δημοσιεύσουμε στο Facebook/visitmeteora αυτές τις φωτογραφίες σας στα πλαίσια της τουριστικής προώθησης της περιοχής μας ή χρειάζεται να αγοράσουμε τα δικαιώματα των φωτογραφιών σας και αν ναι πόσο θα στοίχιζε για μια ανάρτησή τους;

Σας ευχαριστούμε πολύ….

2. Angus says:

How are you going to rate the ISO of the HP5? I’ll be trying my new 4×5 out the coming week too and figure it will best to start with HP5 as well before I try out the more expensive E6 or C41 film.

• kbesios says:

I rated it at ISO 250, negatives seem fine but I will have to scan them today to see how they really came out. HP5 is a very forgiving films both in exposure and development terms. The real test of course will be when I shoot some Provia or Velvia (the weather is not good so that will probably have to wait a few days).

• Angus says:

What developer, stop and fixer do you use? I’m thinking of using HC110 because of the long shelf-life. Seems like it will handle HP5 and TMax.

• kbesios says:

I used Ilford DD-X developer and Ilford Rapid Fixer (I only use water for the stop bath).

• Angus says:

Probably a safer choice since Ilford stuff is likely to be available forever…..

• kbesios says:

It’s also much more expensive so since the MOD54 requires 200ml DD-X per development (for one to six sheets), depending on how many 4×5 images I shoot, I may turn to something less expensive like D76 powder for example.

3. Angus says:

Think I’m going to give Acros 100 a try with HC-110. I don’t expect to develop a whole lot and want to have the liquid on standby – don’t like the idea of a powder much. In MF or 4×5 grain is probably less the issue than tonality.