Plaubel Makina 67 with Kodak Portra 160NC

One more roll of film for today’s post, Kodak Portra 160NC shot with the Plaubel Makina 67 camera. This film has been discontinued (and replaced with the new Portra 160 Professional, which is very similar on look, but with a finer grain). I have some more 160NC left in my fridge to shoot.

(Plaubel Makina 67, Kodak Portra 160NC, panoramic crop)

The 160NC is supposedly better to scan due it’s low contrast and saturation (which can be added later in post process), but it lacks the vividness of the 160VC version even after process. The 160VC has a great vivid look which I prefer it over the new Ektar 100. It also has a great dynamic range, which is useful for contrasty scenes.

(Plaubel Makina 67, Kodak Portra 160NC, exposure: 1 second, tripod)

I have shot at the same location with the Nikon D800E and I must say that in this particular scene I much prefer the look of the medium format film camera. It feels more natural, with a great tonality and color.

(Plaubel Makina 67, Kodak Portra 160NC)

The above image is more impressive on the D800E, but once again the film photo Looks more natural. In terms of resolution of course, the D800E wins easily here, since even with the Coolscan 9000, the 6×7 negative cannot reproduce the similar of digital 36 megapixels (but it’s close).
(Plaubel Makina 67, Kodak Portra 160NC)

The image below, is heavy crop of the original image (which I didn’t like), the ability to shoot a 80mm lens at 40mm distance (due to the 6×7 format) at f/2.8 really helps in creating different looking images than 35mm (film or digital).


(Plaubel Makina 67, Kodak Portra 160NC, B+W 110ND filter, Exposure: 30 seconds at f/11)

I added one stop to the meters reading (which showed 30 seconds at f/16), although when I scanned the image, it seemed that I could get away even without compensating for reciprocity.

Below is the same subject shot with the Nikon D800E. It’s shot with a 135mm lens so in order to make a fast comparison, I did a heavy crop on the Makina 67 file. Still, it’s easy to see now the two cameras have rendered the scene (both images shot with the B+W 110ND filter)

(Nikon D800E, Nikkor 135mm f/2 DC, B+W 110ND filter, 30 seconds exposure, tripod)

As I have already written at a previous post, there’s a heavy magenta cast on the D800E file, which I tried to correct in Lightroom (but I obviously didn’t do a very good job). The film image gave me the color I wanted without having to mess up with post process. I am doing some more long exposures with the D800E in order to find out what is really going on with this magenta cast and will publish the results.

(c)2012 Konstantinos Besios. All Rights Reserved.

This entry was posted in Analog and tagged , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *