Sony NEX 5N with Voigtlander Super Wide Heliar 15mm f4.5

One short break from film photography (well, actually not a break, but since I am waiting for my Makina 67 rolls to be developed, I thought I should post a few images taken with the Voigtlander Super Wide Heliar 15mm f4.5 mounted on the Sony NEX 5N.

I chose the 5N over the NEX 7 for two basic reasons, better ISO performance and better compatibility with my wide angle Leica and Voigtlander lenses. Both the Voigtlander 15mm and 21mm lenses perform great on the 5N and especially the 15mm is a great alternative to the e-mount Sony 16mm pancake. It’s also a much better lens optically. The f4.5 is not regarded as fast, but with the ISO performance of the 5N that’s not really a problem.

A great advantage of the Voigtlander 15mm is it’s small size. It fits perfectly on the NEX. It takes 52mm filters and despite not being an auto focus lens, it’s an ultra wide angle lens, so depth of field is huge. Due to 1.5 crop, it behaves like a 22mm, which is pretty wide for most subjects. Optically is a superb lens, probably one of the best Voigtlanders I have ever tried, with great color and sharpness, and very flare resistant. I prefer it over the 16mm Sony pancake which I will only use when I absolutely need auto focus and the f2.8 aperture.

Enjoy the rest of the images.

(c)2012 Konstantinos Besios. All Rights Reserved.

This entry was posted in Cameras, Lenses and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

10 Responses to Sony NEX 5N with Voigtlander Super Wide Heliar 15mm f4.5

1. Casey says:

How do you fit a 52mm filter on the Heliar?

Thank you.

• kbesios says:

There are two versions of the Voigtlandler Super Wide Heliar 15mm. The first one is not rangefinder coupled and cannot take filters. The newer version (2009) adds rangefinder coupling and a normal 52mm filter thread. I have the latest version.

2. Elio Di Claudio says:

The screwmount SW Heliar 15 can use Cokin filters A with the compact foldable holder on Nex, Zeiss Ikon, Leica. Even two of them do not vignette if properly mounted. I built a square, black paper screen to avoid reflections from the body to be inserted on the front cap slide of the lens. It helps with these uncoated filters.
    With the ZI and two filters at f/6.8, I reached over 100 lp/mm in each point of full frame (i.e., Aliasing on the Minolta 5400 II scanner) with Velvia 100.

3. anthony says:

can you confirm what adapters you have to connect this lens to the NEX-7? thank you!

• kbesios says:

I own the NEX 5N, and I am using the adapter from Novoflex which is considered to be a top brand. I have also tried a couple more cheaper adapters, but the results I get from the Novoflex are superior.

• anthony says:

great. thank you for your help. from what i’ve seen the 15mm is available only in the Leica M mount… correct? i’ve been using the fotodiox adapter for other mounts and it’s been great. but i will take your novo suggestion and use that once i get this lens.

• kbesios says:

The 15mm is indeed available in M mount. Now, about the adapters, Fotodiox also makes a Pro version of the their Leica to NEX adapter, which you might also consider, since its cheaper than the Novoflex and it seems to be of great quality. Sometimes it’s also a matter of luck. For example, my Nikon to NEX adapter is a cheap one from China and it works excellent when I mount my Nikon lenses on my NEX. The reason I ended up with the expensive Novoflex, is that I use many Leica and Voigtlander lenses with the NEX 5N frequently, so the investment on a top quality adapter was worthwhile.

• Francesco says:

Hi, what about the adapter ring from voigtlander?
            Thanks

• kbesios says:

I haven’t tried the Voigtlander adapter, but I am sure that it will be excellent since it comes from a respected company (and its price is quite high). Expensive adapters probably ensure that they will perform flawlessly and their high quality construction and precision ensures that you will use them for years. You can probably have excellent results with a cheaper one (as I did I with my NEX/Nikon and NEX/Mamiya adapters), but since the performance of two cheap NEX/M Mount adapters I tried was not what I wanted to, I opted for the expensive one.