Lately, I have been reading a lot about old methods of photography like daguerreotype, ambrotype, etc. We are talking about 19th century techniques, which produced very distinctive looking images. I really love the look of those images and if I could, I would have tried to do this kind of photography, but we are talking about very heavy chemicals here, expenses and amount of time that I simply do not have.
So, the obvious solution is to try to replicate the look of these techniques using software. Now, there’s now way you can match a wet plate collodion for example, but at least you can make images that resemble this unique look.
For these experiments, I decided to choose some portraits, since I felt that they are perfect candidates for this kind of process. It took me quite some time searching through my archive to find portraits, since I don’t really have done lots of them !! Anyway, I got a few images and experimented with them.
It was really fun trying to replicate vintage styles of photography and I will soon experiment with different themes like landscapes and cityscapes.